Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sweet, sweet Charleston.

So, for the most part, I eat healthy. I like vegetables, I rarely eat meat, I try to avoid a huge amount of processed food, and I try to stick to organic/local produce. However, one thing gets in my way. I have a tremendous, powerful, wild love of sweets. For a smallish city, Charleston has more than its share of treats to send me into a sugar rush:


Sweet treats piled high with frosting (the secret is to smoosh down the frosting to evenly distribute it before the first bite) in a variety of flavors, from the ones they carry every day, to special seasonal ones (my faaavorite pictured above).

Cakes, cookies, pies, tarts, pup treats, homemade popsicles...the bakeshop is as adorable as the pastries it creates, and even Bon Appétit has given them some love.

Baked:


The richest brownies, the fluffiest marshmallows, possibly the only place in Charleston that carries Stumptown Coffee. If you're brave, try a Brookie (a chocolate chip cookie surrounded by brownie)--it's an homage to the owners' first establishment in Brooklyn.

WildFlour Pastry:

(photo by Erica Jackson for the Charleston City Paper)

Less than a year old, WildFlour is one of the new kids on the block, but has already made a name for itself with "sticky bun Sundays" and the amazing array of baked goods (sweet and savory) available.

Macaroon Boutique:


Just as cupcakes revolutionized the bakery scene a few years ago, macaroons are setting hearts a-flutter from coast to coast. Walk into the Macaroon Boutique and you'll think you've died and gone to Paris.

Charleston Crepe Company:



On the topic of things with a French flair, have you ever tried a crepe cake? Why the heck not? Layers of sweetness between paper-thin crepes...at least have a slice.

Sweeteeth Artisan Chocolate:


Warning: this is not your run-of-the-mill milk chocolate bar (thank goodness). With chocolate bars featuring peanut butter and chipotle (sweet and salty and spice, oh my), sea salt and caramel, or apple and cinnamon, this is the ordinary chocolate bar's way cooler and better looking friend.


I think I've got a sugar high just putting together this post. Charleston people...am I missing anything? Any other places/treats I should try?

No comments:

Post a Comment