Sunday, January 17, 2010

Art and life. Life and art.



When I was in high school, I had a book. It was part sketchbook, part journal, part collage. I carried it with me everywhere, pasting in photos, jotting down notes, having friends doodle in the corners of pages. The artist featured in the documentary Beautiful Losers treat their whole world like I did that book. They make things with whatever is around them and have been the group that influences today's advertising and creative culture. This film was the jam. Especially Margaret Kilgallen. Her life and work are extremely inspirational. Wow. (Also, this film is on Netflix Instant. Watch it. It's literally at your fingertips.)

On a related artistic note, how cool are Miranda July's scripted pillowcases? I want them:
Don't you love it when something inspires a creative spark in you? Anyone else have a run-in with creativity lately? I want to do another sketchbook...not just a journal, but a multimedia snapshot of my life as I'm seeing/living it.

No comments:

Post a Comment