Sunday, December 13, 2009

I want and want and want.

My brain keeps wandering back to my ramshackle farmhouse dreams where I live with my man in a home surrounded by a wide expanse of green grass and blue sky and tall, old trees. We plant gardens and feed chickens and play all day and cook simple dinners and dance barefoot on wood floors and sit on the porch with a cold beer as the sun tucks itself down behind the trees. We tell stories and secrets--tall tales and fables. He sings me songs as I search out constellations that start to peek out of the inky sky. We wash dishes and steal forkfuls of apple pie out of the pan. We tuck each other in under warm blankets and listen to the quiet music of rain on roof and the other's breathing. We feel the pull of gravity and fingers interweave, then legs, and we fall together into the deep dark. We laugh through odd dreams. We laugh through blisters and cold nights and leftovers. We laugh and we love curiously, with a sense of wonder.


On another note, isn't it amazing how a heap of notes and chords, voices and instruments, and a pattern of beats can completely disarm you, break down all of your defenses and make you completely weak in the knees? The power of song will never cease to amaze me.

6 comments:

Sara Logan Photo said...

Heaven. Pardon me while I borrow your dream. Actually, it was rather ironic to see your post this morning...I visited a for-sale farm yesterday that would be perfect for all these things. And I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. Hope to post pics etc. later today...

Sabrina said...

Please do! I can't wait to see those farm photos.

Meghann said...

Posts of yours like these make me wonder how it was we were raised/what we read and watched and listened to as children that could have made us -- relative strangers -- so similar as adults.

It's a rainy and cold day in Atlanta, and I am camped out at the coffee shop listening to () because the pre-exam Emory students are squabbling about Greek tragedies and theorems a little too loudly for my rainy day tastes.

Tell me how it is so!

Sabrina said...

Meghann--one day we should a side-by-side comparison. Also, you should come to Charleston so we can meet in real life. Sigur Ros is a gift from the heavens, especially on a rainy day where Greek tragedy is being discussed in the background.

Unknown said...

sigur ros is my favorite band in the entire history of the universe!

Sabrina said...

I always find it to pick a favorite of anything, but Sigur Ros would certainly be in the top 5.

Post a Comment