Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Lilies of the Field.

I rented Lilies, a BBC series, on Netflix over the past week, thinking it was just a mini-series. Over the 3 discs (8 episodes) I fell in love with all the characters and loved the costumes (specifically those of the dramatic middle sister, May). However, the last episode, while wrapping up a lot of loose ends, didn't provide the kind of closure a final episode should. I did some research and found out that the show had been canceled, and now my heart's broken. I need them to go back and continune this show!

It's centered on three sisters living with their father and brother in 1920. They don't have much money, their dad is tempermental and their brother has some serious post-traumatic stress from World War I. While the storylines are great, May wears literally item after item that I would die to have in my wardrobe today. High-collared coats, amazing boots, close-fitting cloches (and there's a sleeveless blue goddess-style gown she wears at one point that I would actually commit a crime for)...I was totally in love with the costuming and the whole look of the show. Rent it. It's perfect for a cold day on the couch, under a blanket (which hasn't actually happened yet, here in Charleston, but I turn the fan on high and pretend it's cold out).


Image from the BBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment