Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Duchess


Historic drama? Check. Gorgeous costumes, jewelry and hair? Check. Strong, independent heroine played by Keira Knightly? Check. Could this be Pride & Prejudice that I'm talking about? Or Silk? Or Atonement? Well, yeah. But it's not. (Even though it's become the formula for many films that I love.) Last weekend I saw The Duchess. It was fabulous, to say the least. I knew from my first viewing of the film's trailer that I wanted to see this, so I avoided reading reviews, so as to not give away any possible plot details. I was very pleased. I was tempted to read up on Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire's life, but I realized that that would be just as bad as reading film spoilers, so I avoided that too. I was certainly surprised by many of the plot twists, and even more surprised to learn that they had actually happened.

If you want an engrossing film that makes you tear up at unexpected moments, this is for you. However, if you just want to sit and ogle gorgeous gowns, corsets, thigh-high stockings tied with bows, powdered wigs and faces, and some amazing jewelry and gigantic mansions, you'll have more than enough entertainment as well.

See it. Tell me what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if you have not yet watched The Tudors on Showtime then I command you to rent it!


it's my new favorite show.

Post a Comment