Thursday, February 5, 2009

Also...Books.

In the wake of domino's demise, I took a little stop by Amazon.com and picked up:



I've already learned that my dining room table (which I still haven't painted white, but maybe this weekend...) is in the Swedish style.


According to the book: Based on the 18th-century design inspired by French neoclassicism, this style is typically light and often casual in feel. Painted finishes give the look an unpretentious quality.

Who knew? And it looks like domino has given me the thumbs-up to slap a coat of paint on the table. Whew!

I also purchased another book I've been eyeing for a while:



It's basically part quirky fact, part fiction, and emulates antique travel guides. Inside are reviews of hotels that don't exist and lots of French phrases you'd probably never need to use, such as:

"I'd like to buy this book, but there's a mouth holding it shut."
"J'aimerais acheter ce livre mais il y a une bouche qui le tient fermé."

"Do you have a ladder so I can reach your airmail clerk suspended from the ceiling?"
"Avez-vous une échelle ainsi je pourrai atteindre votre employé de la poste aérienne qui est suspendu du plafond?"

Essentially, this book is better suited for armchair travel than an actual guidebook, but I love these kinds of things. Nick Bantock, author of the Griffin & Sabine books, contributed to this book as well. His books always manage to merge art and literature in a magical way.

I want to get the one on Italy next:


I LOVE BOOKS.

No comments:

Post a Comment