Friday, September 19, 2008

Late-Night Thinking

Since I was little, I've done most of my best (and weirdest) thinking late at night, when I should have been sleeping. I spent a lot of time imagining my life if I had to live on an uninhabited island, like the Swiss Family Robinsons. I think I had an interest in decorating even back then, because I remember wanting to have a bed that hung from ropes attached to the ceiling, so the tropical breezes could rock you while you slept, but it would be more comfortable than a hammock. I still want one of those, actually. I also had extensive plans on turning a waterfall into a an operational shower/waterslide combo, which I think would probably work better in my imagination than reality. (Waterfalls are normally more steep and bumpy than they originally appear.)


I also have heard that it's a fantastic idea to leave a journal by your bed, in case you come up with any good ideas in your sleep. It's something I've always meant to do, but haven't put into practice until recently. After staying up late, despite exhaustion, I put some rambling ideas (complete with pictures) into my journal. While some of them are non-sensical and can safely be crossed off the "ideas with potential" list, others are actually quite good. Even though I may not put any of the ideas into practice, I actually enjoy going back and reading some of my late-night rambles.



Anyone else have any solid tricks for inspiration?

No comments:

Post a Comment