Monday, March 16, 2009

Happy-Go-Lucky


If I could make a film my motto--this would be the one.

On this past dreary, rainy, under-the-covers kind of weekend, this movie made me smile from ear to ear. I think this is the only movie I have watched twice before sending back to Netflixland.

Here's the trailer:


Basically, Poppy, a 30-year-old primary school teacher, gets her bike stolen. This prompts her to take driving lessons. Her instructor happens to be a less easy-going indivdual and awkward hilarity ensues. You also get to take a peek into her joyful, colorful life and, if you're like me, you'll wish by the end that you had her as a friend (even though she can be a little bizarre and over-talkative--it's just part of her charm).

What I love about this movie is that it came out during this building economic/financial crisis. People are worried. Worried about jobs, money, political relations. Extra-worried, in fact. All of this is on top of the usual financial/personal/future worries that people have. When this movie came out, I think some people were offended that such fluff could be made when there are so many more serious topics that abound. Instead, I find it to be exactly what I, personally, needed. At the beginning of the film, Poppy doesn't have a ton of money, a glamorous career or a charming romance. But she does have a curiosity about life (She takes classes in trampolining and flamenco), a deep love for her friends and a unique and sparkling personality that pulls her through tough spots that other people would be more depressed about. She is another little symbol of hope in a dark cultural time.

No comments:

Post a Comment