Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Spoleto

Charleston has, yet again, been bombarded with tourists for the annual Spoleto Festival. While, to many people, this means ballet, opera, symphonies, chamber music, and other classics, those of us who live in Charleston know better. With Spoleto comes Piccolo Spoleto--Charleston's Fringe Entertainment.

Last weekend, we went to see one of the final Charleston performances of Cabaret Kiki before the wonderful and talented Bivens brothers take the show to The Windy City. Evan Bivens plays my favorite character of the show--Kurt Nihilist--who speaks with a German accent and is hilarious and, well, perfect.

See him here, from an early Kiki Perfromance:


And, of course, my favorite song from the show:

This song gives me chills when it's performed live.

Anyway...I rave too much about this show.

I bought tickets for Chandler and me to see Scheer and McBrayer

DSC06905, originally uploaded by brantastic.


at Theatre 99.

If those names don't ring a bell, let me illustrate:




from Timeout.com
Paul Scheer is best known for his work in VH1's Best Week Ever and MTV's Human Giant.


from NYMag.com
Jack McBrayer plays one "Kenneth Parcell" in a little show called, oh...30 ROCK.

They were a huge hit last year and I can't wait to laugh my pants off watching them.

Any other Spoleto events (Piccolo or otherwise) that you'd reccomend?

2 comments:

lauren said...

Dude! I've seen Scheer-McBrayer a bunch of times (during my improv days) and it's by far the most hilarious comedy duo I've ever seen. I'm pretty jealous that you're going to see them.

Other good comedy acts that'll be there: I Eat Pandas (they do an improvised musical and it's incredible every time), The Reckoning (they are an amazing group that performs a format called The Harold), and the UCB Tour Company (always hilarious).

Sabrina said...

There is so much to see--I'm glad you're helping me narrow the choices down!

Post a Comment