Friday, May 23, 2008

Fantasy Goodwill Finds

My mom, the ultimate thrift store shopper, has always told me to go thrifting with an open mind. If you have something specific in mind, you won't find it.

However, I've had some luck in the past, shopping with something specific in mind. Like with my couch, shown here. I went thrifting with my mom with one thing in mind--a neutral-colored couch. After hitting almost every thift store in the area, we made a final stop at the Salvation Army nearest to my parents house and there it was. After some internet research, I found the same couch on the website of the now-defunct Metropolitan Deluxe for $2,500. How much did it set me back? $150.

This has spoiled me--I'm starting to approach thrift shopping like I approach shopping at normal stores. "OK...I need a tea kettle and a cream and sugar-holders." One Goodwill trip later, I have a Cuisinart kettle and a cream and suger set is the same brand as my ceramic flour and sugar canisters, and matches perfectly.

So, while my Mom's advice is extremely true, I still carry the blind hope that I will stumble upon items on my "Fantasy Finds" list--it's worked in the past, so why not now?

Without further ado, here is my list:

An old botany book. I'd carefully remove some illustration plates and frame them and use the rest of the pages for art projects.

from Art.com

A console table. I already have the accessories (thrifted, of course) to compliment it.

from ReallyLindaBarker.co.uk

A fun, patterned rug. I'd love to have a subtle pop of color right when you walk in the door, since I'm too lazy to paint walls in a rental.

from TheSmartestFish.blogspot.com

A globe. I just think they look so cool. I found an incredible vintage globe (it still had the U.S.S.R. listed) at the Goodwill on Folly Beach, but a kid had colored on it a little bit in red marker and I wasn't sure I could get it off, so I didn't buy it. I still have my eyes open...


No comments:

Post a Comment