Thursday, August 21, 2008

More Film Inspiration

I've talked about films that transport me far and away to Asia and Africa, like Indochine and Out of Africa, but I realized that I've been in love with stories like these even since I was little.

I loved reading Frances Hodgson Burnett's novels and adored the film versions--watching my favorite characters come to life was thrilling before my critical eye took over all angles of novel-to-film criticism.

I could watch films like




I have to say--I was really happy when the scriptwriters gave the film version the ending it did...they followed the Shirley Temple version, and instead of Sara Crewe's father being dead and she being adopted by his best friend who fought with him in battle, they let the dad live and just give him temporary amnesia. Whew!

and


I prefer the 1987 Hallmark TV version over the 1993 version--Colin Firth plays grown-up Colin in the Hallmark version...need I say more? I can't find any film stills of this version. Maybe I'll give the remake second chance.

I find that when I'm home sick, I still wish I had these movies around to watch when I'm curled up on the couch, eating soup and feeling sorry for myself. Frances Hodgson Burnett's characters very rarely felt sorry for themselves, even as penniless orphans who were very much alone in a big, cruel world. They managed to have gigantic imaginations and find beautiful, magical places and they'd charm everyone (even people who seemed intitally heartless at the beginning of the tale)and things always turned out for the best in the end.

1 comment:

Alexandrialeigh said...

Um...yeah. I own that 1987 version of The Secret Garden. And I can pretty much quote it word for word.

The next time you're sick, just say the word, and it will be yours to borrow. :)

Post a Comment