Monday, August 4, 2008

Finding my decorating style.

I have a problem when it comes to decorating: I love EVERYTHING. I love the faded, shabby chic look, the slightly preppy nautical New England look, mid-century modern, industrial, bohemian and so much more.

I could just as easily see myself living in a house decorated like this:


as I could a place like this:


Images from The Style Files.

So how do I narrow down my interests? What do you do when you feel as comfortable in a country cottage as you do in a sleek L.A. house with views?

Luckily, my limited budget restricts me to throwing together the things I find at Goodwill into a slightly shabby but decently comfortable home. Everything fits at present because it's all preworn and slightly faded.

For those of you who are currently decorating or have homes, how have you narrowed your interests? I know a lot of it comes from the style of your home. You can get away with whitewashed floors and jars of seashells when you live in a Cape Cod house; you can stick with strong, simple lines in an Arts & Crafts bungalow. Are there any other ways you hone your interests? Share with someone who's trying to learn, but often feels overwhelmed.

4 comments:

i'm cathy. said...

I once saw a story in a magazine about a house and each room has a different theme. but I didn't like that. I like when the whole house has a feeling or a vibe.

I have trouble too because I like very clean line, modern, graphic stuff. then i will see something really old and antique and i MUST have it. but where does it go?

I think you just have to make your OWN style out of all the things you like. I think your house looks good!

Sabrina said...

I agree about making your own style. I just feel like my house never feels complete.

My house will look even better when you're in it! BAM.

Quintessential_Laura said...

That is exactly how I feel about decorating. I am so scared to actually have a house (in a future circumstance) to fix up. I can pick really cool individual pieces but then when I think about putting them in a room with other pieces, it just gets messy and I don't think it would flow well. I just like every style of decorating. Realistically I'll just have to have multiple houses with their own theme. Ok, right...

Sabrina said...

Laura...I TOTALLY agree with your "multiple houses with their own themes."

I'd have a beach house with the nautical/preppy/shabby chic theme, a brownstone in Brooklyn with the mid-century modern look, etc.

The only answer for this is to become very, very wealthy.

Post a Comment