Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Happy New Year.

I know that the Western New Year falls on January 1st, but if it were up to me, New Year's would fall somewhere in the Spring. Springtime stirs something in me. It makes me want to clean out my closet, be more environmentally conscious, start art projects, eat healthier, and so much more. Trying to eat healthier in January is almost impossible. It's the grayest, chilliest month of the year, when all I feel like doing is curling up on the couch and watching 19th century British miniseries.

In the Spring, I revel outdoors. Now, with Maya in my life, I'm more than content to ramble down to Hampton Park and sit under the angel oaks while my pup digs in the dirt. I people and duck-watch. I write in my journal. I become more content to just be with myself.

New Spring Resolutions:

1. Yoga. Yoga. Yoga. (I'm totally copying my boss, Nikki, here.)
2. Eat healthy, locally, and as organically as possible. (But not totally cut out sweets from my life. I could never say goodbye to Cupcake.)
3. As a tie to the above, grocery shop at the Farmers Market and transport there with the entry below.
3. Ride my bike and walk as much as possible before it gets swelteringly hot.
4. Read books that are beautiful and inspiring, like what I'm reading now: The Shadow of the Wind.
5. Try to buy less trendy clothing, and only things that I love (especially if it's recycled clothing from thrift stores.
6. Same with home decor stuffs.
7. Write in my paper journal more.
8. Stop using plastic bags, once and for all, in favor of Baggus.
9. Find a place to volunteer in the community.
10. Be more social.

If you're curious as to all of the eco-themed resolutions, I've had "environmental guilt" for a while (thanks to my Dad, who would pack my lunch in the empty bags that loaves of bread came in) and the fact that I was bombarded with Earth Day was yesterday was quite the impetus to do more than feel guilty, but actually do more about it.

Here's what I'm doing environmentally, so far:

* Recycling everything I can.
* Keeping appliances turned off and/or unplugged when not in use.
* Buying predominantly recycled clothing, furniture, etc.
* Composting
* Cutting down on packaging (plastic, cardboard, etc.)
* Trying to avoid bags at the store (and reusing the ones I do take).
* Not printing out paper at home.
* Avoiding using unnecessary electricity (lights, heating/AC, etc.).
* Limiting water usage: showers, washing dishes, laundry, etc.

Here's what I need to work on:

* Everything.
* Stop driving to work (unless it's pouring).
* Replace all bulbs with compact fluorescents.
* Replace all paper products with recycled paper products.
* Stop printing out unnecessary pages on the computer at work.
* Buying locally, organically.
* As mentioned in resolutions, completely stop accepting bags at stores and using cloth bags.


However, in order to be really, really socially concious, I think you need to be pretty wealthy! Buying clothes not made outside the US (i.e., in sweatshops) is expensive, clothing made from recycled or environmentally-friendly materials like bamboo is expensive! Paraben-free, environmentally-friendly makeup and body products are expensive!

Leave me more ideas on how I can further limit my environmental waste.

I leave you with a song that (no matter how played out) always makes me feel like Spring, and I will love it forever:

1 comment:

i'm cathy. said...

I got side baskets for my bike for my birthday. I am trying my best to only use my car when I absolutely have to and combining errands so I make fewer trips. We are lucky that we live in towns where we can realistically do this.
My shorter hair makes it easier to take shorter showers!
I am cleaning out my closet this spring... so I have a big ol' pile for goodwill!

How is your garden?

Post a Comment