Friday, January 16, 2009

Things I want to do to my house and other decor-related ramblings.

I want to paint my dining room table white:

I want to do this mostly because I looked around the house the other day and realized that it's becoming very traditional. Also, I'm bored. Also, the table doesn't match the chairs and was a $30 Goodwill find to begin with, so if I screw up there's no big loss.

I want to un-Shabby Chicify this piece of furniture I got from Craigslist:

I want to paint it a crisp slate gray and actually use it as a console table or entry table until I find a better option (i.e., stumble upon an alternate cheap piece of furniture at Goodwill). I think the slate gray will bring just the right amount of variety to the entry.

I am also looking for a 5 x 7 or 5 x 8 rug to go in the entry to bring some color in there! We bought this rug from Pottery Barn to bring in some color, but it was too small so we moved it upstairs to the bathroom area. I used to hate orange, but I love this rug so much and really appreciate now how well it works with blue and how fresh it can be. I want this exact rug in a larger size (think of how great it would look with the slate gray secretary), but it seems weird to have two of the same rug in the house.

Basically, I'm trying to unify the house a bit more. I keep searching through images, trying to narrow down exactly what my decorating style is. You can read more about my dilemma here.

I love mid-century modern furniture. I love the Shabby Chic look but with more color (i.e., the "Anthropologie" look). I love the beach house/island look the most, but it seems strange to decorate that way when I live in the middle of a city (albeit a city on the water, near beaches).

But I really think I was designed for the island life. Open, airy, rustic rooms with a smattering of color and spontaneous placement of oddities.

India Hicks, lifestyle and design goddess, lives my dream every day:





Images from June/July 2007 domino.

Not to mention that her life seems to be perfect and her baby daughter (age 1, aptly named "Domino") starts making my biological clock tick overtime:





Images from February 2009 Cookie.


She lives in the Caribbean with her partner (David Flint Wood) and their four children (Felix, Amory, Conrad and Domino) in a place called "Hibiscus Hill." She was a model, she's an heir to the British throne, she's the host of Top Design, her father was David Hicks, possibly the king of the interior design world in the '60s and '70s, and she is AMAZING. For fun, she and her man renovated an old inn, which is now a super-swank hotel. How do I get this life? I know, I know, you have to be born into this kind of luxury.

Oh yeah, back to my house...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like that desk/console table...and it will look lovely grey.
I've been spending most of my time scouring 'home furninshing' websites to look for nice things for our new apartment.
Sadly, The Boy doesn't share my enthusiasm and just rolls his eyes every time I squeal 'eeeeeeeeeee, I want THIS!'

Sabrina said...

As long as most guys have a comfortable couch, a television and a bed, they're pretty much set.

Sometimes I can get my boyfriend interested, but only if what I'm looking at is 1.really cool and 2. super-afforable.

Post a Comment