Sunday, February 28, 2010

Can you hear it?

So, as some of you might know, I'm from good ole' Charlotte, NC (or, at least, a suburb neighboring it). When I was young, I had great hopes for the city. I saw the beauty in all its neighborhoods and saw the pure talent that lived in it, from NoDa, to Elizabeth, to South End, and back again.

But after a while, I began to feel disheartened. Charlotte had more than its share of shopping and places to sip coffee, but what else? A downtown that dies as soon as the pencil-pushers clock out at night?

Luckily, there are people who are still stirring up the city I once loved. Maybe music like this will finally shake Charlotte into that city of magic that I still believe it can be.

Matthew Padgett, from the band Campbell, and I go way back. We once went to the same church waaay downtown in Charlotte, and spent many a day jumping on his cousin Joey's bed. Now he's all grown up and making music that inspires. Listen to it, and daydream as you do:

No comments:

Post a Comment